Speech marks (quotation marks) - منتديات الجلفة لكل الجزائريين و العرب

العودة   منتديات الجلفة لكل الجزائريين و العرب > English Forum > English Learning

English Learning Ask questions about English grammar, vocabulary, usage and idioms..

في حال وجود أي مواضيع أو ردود مُخالفة من قبل الأعضاء، يُرجى الإبلاغ عنها فورًا باستخدام أيقونة تقرير عن مشاركة سيئة ( تقرير عن مشاركة سيئة )، و الموجودة أسفل كل مشاركة .

آخر المواضيع

Speech marks (quotation marks)

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 2013-09-28, 15:17   رقم المشاركة : 1
معلومات العضو
أميرة العرب
عضو مميّز

إحصائية العضو

Icon24 Speech marks (quotation marks)

salééém

Speech marks (or quotation marks as they're also called) are used:

To show the exact words spoken or written.
For the names of things like ships, books, and plays.
To express the idea of alleged or so-called.

The three big questions with speech marks are:

What punctuation should I use before my speech marks?
(Answer: A comma, a colon, or nothing. It's your choice.)
Where should I put the punctuation that follows my speech marks, i.e., inside or outside?
(Answer: It depends what punctuation mark you're talking about and whether you're following US or UK conventions. More below.)
Should I use double or single speech marks?
(Answer: There's a lot of leniency on this, but it's common to start with doubles and then use singles only when you need to use speech marks within those doubles. More below.)

Speech Marks
Used for the Names of Ships, Plays, Books, etc.

Speech marks (or quotation marks as they're also called) can be used for the names of books, plays, films, articles, ships, aircraft, houses, and hotels.

You do not have to use speech marks for the names of these things, but you can if you think they highlight the name in a way that gives the required emphasis or group the name in a way that gives the sentence more clarity. For example:

When the "Herald of Free Enterprise" left the port with her bow-door open, the sea flooded her decks almost instantly. Within minutes, she was lying on her side in shallow water.
In the City of Westminster in central London, "The Savoy" is the place to stay – if money is no object.

Speech Marks to Denote Alleged or So-called

You can use quotation marks to denote so-called or alleged, or to show that a word is not being used in its literal sense. For example:

When the boss left, Peter's "mentor" took off his uniform and rushed back to the pub.
(so-called mentor)
Oh no, I've dropped another. These eggs "know" when you're about to crack them.
(The eggs don't know. Here, the speech marks show that know is not being used in its literal sense.)

Note: Do not use the words so-called or alleged and speech marks – that is effectively saying the same thing twice. For example:

When the boss left, Peter's so-called "mentor" took off his uniform and rushed back to the pub. WRONG

Speech marks are not used for emphasis. For example:

We sell "fresh" fish.
(This will be read as: "We sell so-called fresh fish.") WRONG

The Punctuation before Quotations

Before we talk about your choice of punctuation before a quotation, it is worth re-iterating that speech marks are only used to show the exact words spoken or written. For example:

This morning, Alan said, "I like toast."
(These are the exact words spoken by Alan.)

Often, people describe the idea in a quote without using the actual words. (More often than not, it will be preceded by the word that.) This is called reported speech. Speech marks should not be used with reported speech. For example:

This morning, Alan said that he liked toast.
(This is an example of reported speech, which is why no speech marks have been used.)

(This is an example of reported speech, which is why no speech marks have been used.)
This morning, Alan said that "he liked toast." WRONG
(As these are not the actual words Alan said, there should be no speech marks. Remember, Alan said, "I like toast." This example is describing the idea he said. It is not using his exact words.)

One of the big issues with writing quotations is the preceding punctuation. In other words, when you introduce a quotation with words like He said , She whispered, or He wrote, should this introduction be followed by a comma, a colon, or nothing? There is no strict ruling on this. You can use whichever one of those three options you like. This allows you to control the desired flow of text. If you don't want to control the desired flow of text and you'd like a guideline, then try this: Use a comma for short quotations of fewer than seven words, and use a colon for longer quotations. For example:

This morning, Alan said, "I like toast."
(A three-word quote – comma used)
This morning, Alan said: "I like toast with the crusts removed."
(A seven-word quote – colon used)

This is just a helpful guideline not a rule.

Punctuation – Inside or Outside Speech Marks?

The rules governing whether to place punctuation inside or outside speech marks are complicated. The quick summary is:

Semicolons and colons go outside. For example:

This theory is meant to explain all the happenings on the "Marie Celeste"; however, it does not address the absence of every single member of the crew.
Sir, there are two reasons why they are calling you "a traitorous scumbag": you are a traitor, and you are a scumbag.

Exclamation marks and question marks are placed according to logic. For example:

She shouted, "Get out!"
(The quote is the exclamatory sentence.)
He actually said "please"!
(The whole sentence (not the quote) is the exclamatory sentence.)

He said, "Can I leave?"
(The quote is the question.)
Did you say "I must leave"?
(The quote is not a question, but the whole sentence is.)

Commas and periods/full stops go inside in the US and outside in the UK. For example:

It was heavier than the "Spruce Goose." ()
It was heavier than the "Spruce Goose". ()
In this game, you cannot say the words "and," "the," and "is." ()
In this game, you cannot say the words "and", "the" and "is". ()
(Note: the comma before and disappears in the UK version too.)

There is a quirk with periods/full stops. If the comma or period/full stop can be claimed as part of the original quote, then it must appear inside.

Ellipsis within Speech Marks

You can use three dots (called ellipsis) to show that you have omitted part of a quotation. For example:

Original
: " I'm never going to be famous. My name will never be writ large on the roster of Those Who Do Things. I don't do anything. Not one single thing. I used to bite my nails, but I don't even do that anymore." (Dorothy Parker, 1893-1967)
With ellipsis: "I'm never going to be famous…I don't do anything…I used to bite my nails, but I don't even do that anymore. (Dorothy Parker, 1893-1967)

Note: Quite often, the ellipsis is placed between square brackets.

peace

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2013-10-14, 16:59   رقم المشاركة : 2
معلومات العضو
fille algerie
عضو مميّز

الصورة الرمزية fille algerie

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

Gr8 topic thanks a lot dear

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2013-10-15, 14:47   رقم المشاركة : 3
معلومات العضو
أميرة العرب
عضو مميّز

إحصائية العضو

Icon24

اقتباس:
المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة fille algerie مشاهدة المشاركة
gr8 topic thanks a lot dear

saleeem

never mind sister

thx for passing by

i hope u learned something from it

peace

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2013-10-17, 18:46   رقم المشاركة : 4
معلومات العضو
musta emo
عضو مجتهـد

الصورة الرمزية musta emo

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

Thank you for posting it's very good for learning

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2013-10-17, 19:46   رقم المشاركة : 5
معلومات العضو
أميرة العرب
عضو مميّز

إحصائية العضو

Icon24

اقتباس:
المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة musta emo مشاهدة المشاركة
Thank you for posting it's very good for learning

saléém

never mind bro
i'm glad i could help

peace

رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

الكلمات الدلالية (Tags)
(quotation, marks, marks), speech

أدوات الموضوع
انواع عرض الموضوع

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

الساعة الآن 19:15

المشاركات المنشورة تعبر عن وجهة نظر صاحبها فقط، ولا تُعبّر بأي شكل من الأشكال عن وجهة نظر إدارة المنتدى
المنتدى غير مسؤول عن أي إتفاق تجاري بين الأعضاء... فعلى الجميع تحمّل المسؤولية

2006-2023 © www.djelfa.info جميع الحقوق محفوظة - الجلفة إنفو (خ. ب. س)