(BS3) I’m thinking of starting a vegetable garden – Is all the work worth the reward? - منتديات الجلفة لكل الجزائريين و العرب

العودة   منتديات الجلفة لكل الجزائريين و العرب > English Forum > English Club

English Club Discussions and debate about life, news and events..etc

في حال وجود أي مواضيع أو ردود مُخالفة من قبل الأعضاء، يُرجى الإبلاغ عنها فورًا باستخدام أيقونة تقرير عن مشاركة سيئة ( تقرير عن مشاركة سيئة )، و الموجودة أسفل كل مشاركة .

آخر المواضيع

(BS3) I’m thinking of starting a vegetable garden – Is all the work worth the reward?

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 2023-05-19, 12:59   رقم المشاركة : 1
معلومات العضو
AbuHossam
عضو مميّز

الصورة الرمزية AbuHossam

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي (BS3) I’m thinking of starting a vegetable garden – Is all the work worth the reward?

The Question
I have never done anything like this before. Is it cheaper than buying vegetables? I was thinking of doing tomatoes and string beans.

ANSWER 1
In my experience, it is not financially rewarding, but it's an enjoyable experience and the food tastes great!

ANSWER 2
I do A LOT of canning and freezing. Probably 900 jars a year and I barter with what I can. It is financially worth it for me because of the canning. My teen son loves gardening and homesteading and grows enough for me to can and he sells any extra. I reuse jars from the grocery store also to keep the cost down..people save them for me. Not 100% of them work but it has saved me hundreds of dollars.

ANSWER 3
When I first started a garden, I bought the veggie plants because I didn’t know what I was doing and didn’t feel comfortable. It iis more affordable to plant using seeds instead of buying the plants. Also, learn to freeze and can. It really is fun to see everything grow.

ANSWER 4
It's cheaper to buy veggies at the store or farmer's market, unless you're in it for the long haul, but I enjoy gardening anyway. I know how they were tended to (organic or not), I can pick fresh when needed for a meal, it's an activity to do at home that provides vitamin D (via sunshine), some quiet time with nature, and it keeps me busy and moving, so it keeps me healthy in several ways.

The biggest expense is the initial startup. We had to go with raised garden beds because our yard has drainage issues in heavy Spring rain, so that meant the added expense of building material and large planters, plus the soil and fertilizer to fill them. I've had plants not produce or produce little, while others have provided more than we can eat. The last 2 years my jalapenos have been tiny, no bigger than 1", and weren't ready to harvest until long after I had a stash of tomatoes and onions (I make a lot of salsa). I got an earlier start this year and planted them closer to my privacy fence (morning sun, evening shade) and I've already picked several 4" jalapenos, while my tomatoes are still green. Squash is extremely easy to grow, but squash bugs were a big nuisance last year and I'd never had that problem ; I refused to plant squash this year as a result.

You also have to fight off the squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, etc. I've lost many nearly ready melons to those little buggers.🤦‍♀️

I use veggies fresh, but also freeze, dehydrate and can, the latter is another big investment and ongoing expense for supplies, but allows you to have ****f stable, homegrown veggies year round.

رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

الساعة الآن 08:11

المشاركات المنشورة تعبر عن وجهة نظر صاحبها فقط، ولا تُعبّر بأي شكل من الأشكال عن وجهة نظر إدارة المنتدى
المنتدى غير مسؤول عن أي إتفاق تجاري بين الأعضاء... فعلى الجميع تحمّل المسؤولية

2006-2023 © www.djelfa.info جميع الحقوق محفوظة - الجلفة إنفو (خ. ب. س)