Phrases for Conversation - منتديات الجلفة لكل الجزائريين و العرب

العودة   منتديات الجلفة لكل الجزائريين و العرب > English Forum > English Learning

English Learning Ask questions about English grammar, vocabulary, usage and idioms..

في حال وجود أي مواضيع أو ردود مُخالفة من قبل الأعضاء، يُرجى الإبلاغ عنها فورًا باستخدام أيقونة تقرير عن مشاركة سيئة ( تقرير عن مشاركة سيئة )، و الموجودة أسفل كل مشاركة .

آخر المواضيع

Phrases for Conversation

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 2017-07-09, 15:12   رقم المشاركة : 1
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي Phrases for Conversation

Small Talk
Objectives
to introduce yourself
to carry on a basic conversation about yourself and others
Chanwon is waiting for his connecting flight to Seattle. He’s come to the United States for a year
to study English before he returns to Korea to finish his degree in electronic engineering. He has
been on short holidays abroad with his family, but this is the first time that he will be living in an
English-speaking environment with an English-speaking family. Of course he’s nervous about his
ability to communicate in a lang. he has only studied in school. He’d like to talk to someone
while he’s waiting for his plane, but he’s not sure how to begin or what to say. What if he uses the
wrong word, or no one understands him? And what if someone asks him a question he doesn’t know
how to answer? If only he had more vocabulary! If only he could speak as naturally as everyone
around him!

You could be like Chanwon waiting for your flight at the airport with a long trip ahead of you
You could be having a coffee in a café or a meal in a restaurant, standing somewhere in a
line, socializing at a party, or interacting with people you’ve only just met. Situations in
which people strike up a conversation out of curiosity or mutual interest, or just to be sociable,
present themselves when you are traveling in a foreign country.
Whether you’re meeting someone for the first time or connecting with an old friend or
acquaintance, most conversations start out on a personal note. At first you’re most likely to talk about:
where you live or come from;
what you do for a living;
what brings you to a particular place
If the conversation continues, you’ll usually move on to everyday subjects with which you’re
familiar such as:
personal interests and hobbies;
the weather;
your environment (the airport, restaurant, hotel, park, beach, etc.);
your place (city, country, school, or workplace);
current happenings such as sports and cultural events or the news.
Although English-speaking people tend to engage easily in conversations with strangers, there are
certain topics that may be considered too intimate. Topics that should be avoided are:
marital status,
age,
income,
religion,
politics

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-09, 15:16   رقم المشاركة : 2
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

Phrases

Openers: Excuse Me …

Most often a conversation begins with a simple question, a request for information, or a comment about the weather or surroundings. Depending on the person you’re talking to and the situation you’re in—is the situation formal or casual, is the person close to your age—there are two approaches you can take.
The indirect approach is a polite and unobtrusive way to test the waters in case the other person isn’t interested in talking at length:
May / could I borrow your newspaper / magazine / the salt and pepper?
Could you tell me if this is where the plane leaves for Houston?
Would you happen to know a good restaurant / a nice hotel?
I was wondering if you’re from around here. This is my first visit to London.
Sorry to bother you, but is this seat taken / is anyone sitting here?
Would you mind telling me where you got that book?
Could I trouble / bother you for change? I don’t seem to have any quarters.
You wouldn’t happen to know if there’s a café / a bank / a grocery store near here?
The direct approach takes the initiative in a friendly, open manner:
Excuse me, do you have the time?
This is a great hotel, isn’t it?

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-09, 15:18   رقم المشاركة : 3
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

I can’t believe how busy the airport is today.

Nice day, isn’t it / eh?

So, what brings you here?

Do you come here often?

Are you from here?

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-09, 15:18   رقم المشاركة : 4
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

A conversation with a stranger is a good opportunity not only to pass the time but also to practice your English. If the person to whom you are speaking is in the mood to continue the conversation, most likely he or she will be interested in finding out more about you.

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-09, 15:18   رقم المشاركة : 5
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

Nationality

I’m Korean / Japanese / German / Mexican.

Residence

I’m from Seoul / Kyoto / Hamburg / Guadalajara.

I come from Korea / Japan / Germany / Mexico.

Age*

I’m twenty-five / thirty-two / in my forties.

Marital status**

I’m single / married / divorced / widowed.

Job

I’m an engineer / a teacher/ a student / a systems analyst.

I’m in advertising / in electronics / in insurance.

I’m self-employed / retired.

I’m with McGraw-Hill / AT&T / Siemens.

Hobbies and interests

I’m interested in sports / fashion / traveling / art.

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-09, 15:19   رقم المشاركة : 6
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

It is important and polite, of course, to show interest in what your conversation partner tells you; otherwise what’s the point of talking to someone? While it is courteous to respond to the person you have just met, it is even more important to be sincere and to reply in a comfortable, natural manner.

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-09, 15:19   رقم المشاركة : 7
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

If you and the person you’ve been talking to hit it off, you might want to introduce yourself. Here are some tips when making introductions:

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-09, 15:19   رقم المشاركة : 8
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

In English-speaking cultures, it is usual for people to introduce themselves with their first names rather than their family or surnames. It is very rare that Americans or Canadians will introduce themselves as Mr. or Mrs. Brown. If they give both their first and last name, for example “I’m Judy Smith”, they will usually expect you to call them by their first name. Also in the English ******** there is no distinction between formal and familiar address, as is the case in many other ********s. “You” is “you” regardless of age, social status, or familiarity.

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-09, 15:20   رقم المشاركة : 9
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

Be careful not to confuse “how are you” and “how do you do.” How are you is a question and requires an answer: I’m fine, thanks or Not too bad (see Asking about Someone’s Well-Being, page 22-23). How do you do looks like a question but is really a greeting, and it is acceptable to respond with How do you do, or one of the phrases that follow. If you want to know about someone’s health, it’s better to ask, How are you feeling? or How are you?

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-09, 15:20   رقم المشاركة : 10
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

Traditionally people shake hands when they make introductions, particularly in business or formal situations. Men almost always shake hands, whereas women may or may not. When meeting a woman for the first time, wait for her to offer her hand.

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-09, 15:20   رقم المشاركة : 11
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

In more casual and informal situations shaking hands is not always the custom. Young people will use gestures, such as waving their hand, to acknowledge the person. If you are not sure what to do in a particular situation, do as others do.

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-09, 15:20   رقم المشاركة : 12
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

We use the verb to meet when we want to say that we make a person’s acquaintance. If someone asks you: How did you meet your husband or wife, they mean how were you first introduced, not when did you see him or her last.

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-09, 15:21   رقم المشاركة : 13
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

Example:

A: How did you meet your husband?

B: Actually he was a friend of my brother’s from his college days, and at first I didn’t even like him.

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-09, 20:23   رقم المشاركة : 14
معلومات العضو
asmazoubiri
عضو مشارك

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

important sentces .................................................. thnks

آخر تعديل asmazoubiri 2017-07-09 في 20:24.
رد مع اقتباس
قديم 2017-07-10, 14:54   رقم المشاركة : 15
معلومات العضو
saimoh76
بائع مسجل (ج)

إحصائية العضو

افتراضي

Past Experiences
Objectives

to introduce family members, friends, and acquaintances

to talk and inquire about past experiences and events

رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

الساعة الآن 02:51

المشاركات المنشورة تعبر عن وجهة نظر صاحبها فقط، ولا تُعبّر بأي شكل من الأشكال عن وجهة نظر إدارة المنتدى
المنتدى غير مسؤول عن أي إتفاق تجاري بين الأعضاء... فعلى الجميع تحمّل المسؤولية

2006-2024 © www.djelfa.info جميع الحقوق محفوظة - الجلفة إنفو (خ. ب. س)